Monday, March 30, 2020

COVID19: March 30, 2020 - Lenten Music Madness

You may have heard me rave about Ascension’s Minister of Music, Joy Bauer, from previous blogs. She and I have great chemistry; we’re both creative types and enjoy finding ways to pump new life into our liturgy. Occasionally our ideas fall flat, but more often than not, they work, and as our worship glorifies God, our spirits soar.

When Joy comes up with a new idea, I tend to trust her, even if I have my doubts. And when she presents her new idea with energy and enthusiasm, it’s contagious. “Let’s go for it!” I say. I’m all in.

Somewhere around Christmas, she was giddy about a brilliant brainstorm she had for a “Lenten Music Madness” contest, much like the March Madness of college basketball fame. Only, instead of basketball teams, we’re talking hymns. This was one of those ideas I doubted would get much traction with the congregation, but she was so darn excited about it, that I had to be supportive. (After all, she's gone along with more than one of my ideas with questionable outcomes.) 

Joy spent countless hours getting ready for the big roll out on the first Sunday of Lent. Our choirs chose the hymns that would compete. Then she created a giant bulletin board in the narthex showing the brackets, paper ballots were prepared, and she put together a wonderful booklet with background on each of the hymns. It was impressive!

To my surprise, people were getting into it. One of our members, Kyle, did some aggressive lobbying for his favorite, "I Want Jesus to Walk with Me," and it seemed to be paying off. Most people complained about the difficult choices, including me, and that was part of the fun. It was a rip-snortin' success!

Then… BAM! We closed our doors, and we all went home because of the coronavirus. Bummer, I thought. So much for Joy’s “Lenten Music Madness.” But I was wrong. 

She moved it online. She posted surveys on Ascension’s private Facebook group. People continued to vote. Kyle pressed on with lobbying for his favorite hymn in the comments. And people never stopped complaining about the difficult choices.

The best part about going online has been the videos Joy posts to announce the winners each week. It’s like a press conference on ESPN. Joy has the ability to be hysterical with a complete straight face, something she learned from her mother Marguerite who, seriously, needs to go on late night T.V. Hands down,  she's the funniest person I’ve ever met. (Here I am wishing her a happy 95th birthday.)



One-by-one, the Christmas hymns in the competition have bit the dust, and only “Silent Night” remained last week; it was up against “Beautiful Savior.” Today, when Joy announced the results of that pairing, she told us the winner took it by 14 votes, and then she looked right into the camera and revealed the outcome. “All I can say is…” She held up a stuffed Christmas elf with a fuzzy white beard… 


“Christmas…” She chucked the elf over her shoulder… “is over! History.”  


And the tea I had just sipped sprayed my computer screen. 

We’re down to four hymns this week: ”Beautiful Savior”, “On Eagles’ Wings”, “Amazing Grace” and “Lift High the Cross.” Can you believe “Lift High the Cross” beat out “Holy, Holy, Holy?" It was quite an upset. And sadly, Kyle’s hymn bit the dust – defeated by “Amazing Grace.” Really, what hymn stands a chance against “Amazing Grace?” If we were placing bets, my money would be on “Amazing Grace” to take it all, although my favorite among those remaining is “Beautiful Savior.” 

Who will the winner be? Well, I don’t know about the hymns, but clearly, the big winner is Joy Bauer. She pulled it off, even in the face of what would have caused a lesser person to close it down, and the congregation has thoroughly enjoyed it. 

“Lenten Music Madness”, it turns out, has been more than an entertaining competition. It’s become a way to strengthen our community in a time of physical separation. As we watch Joy’s deadpan videos and vote for our favorite hymns, we’re connecting with one another over hymns that we miss singing with one another—melodies that are so much a part of our history, lyrics that fill us with hope. Until we can sing them again, gathered in community, I thank God we still have Joy! 


1 comment:

  1. What a terrific team You 2 are wonderful alone and together Yes I put Amazing Grace on the ballot and if it wins that will be one of my first wins Yah
    Waiting to get back
    Stay safe and God bless

    Carol Erhsrdt

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.