Thursday, March 26, 2020

COVID19: March 26, 2020 - Strange Fears

I've been learning so much during these days of social distancing, mostly about myself. Although I hate to admit this, it really suits me well. While so many are struggling with the lack of human contact, I’m thriving. 

Since I started ministry in the most demanding call of my life, my creative side has all but shriveled up and died. I was wondering if it was gone forever. But it’s back, in overdrive. I feel wholly alive for the first time in years.

I’m also enjoying these days because I’m an introvert. If I had to spend them sharing my space with anyone else right now, it wouldn’t be pretty. I’ve often thought I could easily become a hermit, and this little “experiment” is enough to convince me that it’s true. Of course, I do have social media to keep me connected to other human beings, so maybe I’m cheating. But still, I’m relishing this time apart from everyone else. 

Today, I had to go out. At 7:30 am I was at my retina doc’s office getting an eye poked. (I receive regular shots for a condition.) I was surprised at how fearful I felt during the whole ordeal. No, not the having a man stick a needle in my eye part. I’m talking about the driving my car and walking to the doctor’s office part. I was on high alert, and the whole time, it felt like I was in danger. 

Why did I feel that way? Obviously, I’m trying hard not to catch COVID-19. But my fear wasn’t so much about getting sick as it was about leaving the safety of my nest. I’ve been spending so much time in my house that venturing out leaves me feeling vulnerable to… to what? I don’t know. I suppose it leaves me feeling vulnerable to whatever could harm me outside my home. It dawned on me today that I’m beginning to identify with those who suffer from agoraphobia. And it’s easier for me to understand people who feel so threatened when they have to leave the safety of their own little world. 

It’s good to know the effect that spending so many days in seclusion has on me. Yes, it suits me. But not in an entirely healthy way. It will take me a while, when I return to my regularly scheduled life, to readjust to being around people. 

Re-entry will be challenging for most of us, in different ways. I pray we will be gentle with other people and ourselves, when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.