Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Day After They Lined Up for Chicken


So much has already been said about boycotting Chick-Fil-A that I don’t need to say a whole lot about it here. At first I was among those who didn’t quite get why many of my friends were so offended by some old man who made homophobic statements. After all, we hear these things all the time. Doesn’t the guy have as much right to express his opinion as I do? But then when I learned about the millions of dollars Chick-Fil-A contributes to organizations that are working to deny the rights of gay folks, I realized that every time I buy a chicken sandwich there, I am contributing to those organizations, as well. So, I won’t be doing that any more. It’s as simple as that for me.

Now, the morning after “Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day”, I am having strong feelings about what I witnessed yesterday. I can understand why some people would not see this as I do; we disagree about the issue of homosexuality. So, of course, it wouldn’t bother them to continue patronizing Chick-Fil-A. That’s fine. I won’t fault them for it. But what I saw yesterday went beyond that. There were people who made a point of going to Chick-Fil-A, standing in line, having their pictures taken and boasting about it. Some of them ate there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Of course, the name of Jesus was invoked while they were doing it. Somehow this became an expression of “Christianity.” And it makes me sick to my stomach.

I often hear Christians who are opposed to what they refer to as the homosexual “lifestyle” (implying that sexual orientation is a choice) saying that they “love the sinner, but hate the sin.” They will insist that they do not hate people who are gay. In fact they love them. What they’re trying to do is save them. Again, I don’t agree with them. But I can respect what they’re saying.

So tell me, please, how what happened yesterday could be construed as loving toward LGBT people? Those who made a big deal out of eating at Chick-Fil-A yesterday were spitting in the faces of a lot of people I love. It grieves my soul to see how quickly people jump on the hate bandwagon. I wonder if they really think about the ones they are hurting. But then, that's the way I tend to see these things. It's not about who's right and who's wrong. It's about who's being harmed. And a lot of people were harmed yesterday. There was nothing loving about eating at Chick-Fil-A and telling gay people you don’t give a damn about them.

I want to say “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do” but I’m having trouble with that right now.





18 comments:

  1. Thank you. Fort Mill, SC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your voice of reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you think you are being a little judgmental in your thinking? We all have a right to our thoughts and beliefs. Just because some people don't believe in same sex marriage doesn't mean that they hate gays. I would bet there are also gay and lesbian people who do not feel they should marry. Boy, I would hate to think how ostrasized they would be from that community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a portion of the LGBT community that does not support Marriage - it's not an 'issue' within our community to disagree. It's OK if they don't marry .. we don't care. What you are missing is that it HURTS to have your family, your spouse, your love belitted again and again ... that's not love ... it's something else.

      Delete
    2. You don't get it do you? You have a right to your thoughts and beliefs as I do; however, you DON'T have a right to restrict or deny my rights because of your thoughts and beliefs. That's all, simple concept. You are right - there are gay and lesbian people who do not feel they should marry, and guess what? They don't get married! If you don't believe in gay marriage, guess what? You don't have to marry a gay person! Simple concept huh? By the way, I never met someone who opposed gay marriage that didn't hate gays. Never. Why is it so hard for you and your ilk to be honest? Isn't that what your god taught?

      Delete
  4. Thank you for a sensible and compassionate view of this action. We are not talking about abstract things. We are talking about people. I doubt many of these "Christan" folks in line asked themselves, "What would Jesus do?" If so, they would have stepped out of line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These folks supporting Chic-Fil-A and other anti-GLBT are Paulists, not Christians.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't pose or brag. I just got chicken sandwiches to express that Mr. Cathy has the right to run his organization the way he wants to, based on what he believes. There shouldn't have been such a movement to boycott the man because he was asked to answer a question. I'm sorry you were hurt. I really am. I wish there chould be resolution between the two factions, but I can't convert. I won't convert even though I have so very many gay friends and several gay family members whom I truly do love. If the sexuality issue didn't have to be the only issue that is important, (which I don't bring up, BTW)if other people didn't try to legislate how I spend my money and how the government spends my money, if others were not always expecting to set my core values aside in order to embrace their's...then I think there would be less hurt on both sides of the culture. I hope you can find peace in the post chicken days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well said. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sick of this topic I can't believe I just read another blog about it, but I'm glad I did! Thank you for speaking out. I don't know you, but I think you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. To anonymous who mentioned that some gays might think they should not marry... I know many heterosexual people who choose to be in unmarried relationships. That isn't the point. The point is the denial of equal rights under the law and the benefits associated with them. Everyone should have the same freedom to choose to marry.

    What irks me the most is that "Christians" speak about marriage these days like it is some revered institution. If they really cherished it so much, then why is the divorce rate among "Christians" nearly 50%? For something so seemingly sacred, I should think the rate should be less than 10%. Allowing Gays to marry before the law of the land isn't going to cost anyone anything.

    And "Christians" that call it "the Biblical definition" are only using convenient excerpts because there are many things that the old testament prescribes that we do not and would not follow today, like owning concubines, and marrying your brothers wife if he died. Seems like I remember Jesus befriending, and helping, and loving prostitutes, lepers and all kinds of loathsome people from my days of Sunday school. The God I choose to believe in is one of love and acceptance, not one of fear and hate.

    It is all about equal rights under the law. Look back to the 60's and see the similarities. Social change is inevitable. In 10 or 20 years time when our society has become more enlightened, I hope that all those that so strongly support the Defense of Marriage Act now will feel the shame due them when they have to explain to their Gay child or grandchild that they felt, and perhaps still do, that they shouldn't be treated the same as anyone else.

    We are not the judgmental ones. To each their own.

    Raleigh, NC

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would Jesus have been among this crowd of hate? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well written, dear one. If these people truly cared about the souls of gays and wanted them saved, they would have been on their knees praying for their souls... and fasting, rather than gouging themselves on chicken. You are right. It's not about Christianity at all... it's about who they hate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post, and I've been sharing it with all of my friends and family members who don't understand why I feel so strongly about this CFA kerfuffle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How do you respond to people you love who tell you that gay marriage goes against the Bible?

    ReplyDelete
  14. To those who think this was a free-speech issue and nothing more. When free speech turns into hateful speech that causes pain and suffering then it is no longer free speech. You all think you did such a patriotic thing the other day - but at the same time you were ripping others apart. Sorry, that's not free speech and it is also decidedly not Christianity. Nancy has it exactly right. One last comment - the person above who suggested this is Pauline I have to say I do not agree and feel that is really unfair to Paul.
    SBD+

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm an atheist. I deny the existence of a god (but certainly don't impose my view on the believers). I expect that this is a huge sin in their view. I'm married and there wasn't any controversy in getting married. We don't have children and procreating wasn't the reason for our marriage.
    If my marriage hasn't tarnished the sactity of the 'Christian marriage', then why will gay marriage? I hope for consistency sake that the answer is that my marriage should be revoked by law once they get the gay/lesbian legislation in place. After banning atheists then the other 'non-Christian' marriages can be addressed in order. I'd like to know when the marriage rights of murders, rapists,.... will be terminated since I think they'd be higher on the sinner list than the gays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How do you respond to people you love who tell you that gay marriage goes against the Bible? Easy - it doesn't...

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.