Friday, April 3, 2020

COVID19: April 3, 2020 - Jelly Bellies


On Tuesday, I learned about Instacart from a friend and decided to give it a try. It’s a way to order my groceries online and have them delivered to my door.

Today, I was contacted by my shopper, Antwan, who texted me from Shoprite.  

Antwan: Hello this is Antwan from Instacart I just started shopping for you so if there is anything you need or want to add or change please feel free to do so… Hope your day is going well!!!! (followed by three upside down smiley faces.) 

Now, this is a cool thing. I didn’t know that I’d be able to text my shopper in real time and make changes to my list.

A few minutes later, Antwan informed me that they were out of the Kellogg’s Raisin Bran and he suggested an off-brand substitute. No problem.

Suddenly, I was having a terrible hankering for Root Beer and asked him to add it to the list. 

Antwan: Of course I can Would you like a 2 liter?

I told him, sure, and it was done. 

Then there were other substitutions necessary. All were fine with me. Until he got to the Peanut Butter. 

Antwan: They don’t have 16.3oz you wanted 6 so I got you 3 40oz Same ozs you wanted and about the same price. 

Me: No. I don’t want that. Was giving it to my local food pantry for the hungry. Can you find the smaller ones in another brand? 

Antwan: No worries I got you

One of my disappointments was that they were all out of Starburst Jelly Beans. With Easter coming up, I NEED me some good jelly beans. Darn.

Me: Do they have Jelly Bellies?

Antwan: What are jelly bellies Jelly beans?

Me: Yes, gourmet jelly beans.

I was a little taken aback that Antwan hadn’t experienced Jelly Bellies yet. I don't get them often, because they're pricey, but this was a special occasion.

Me: Get three. One for you!

Antwan: Awwwwwwww I haven’t eaten jelly beans since I was a kid lol!

Me: These aren’t just jelly beans! I want you to try them.

Antwan: Ok I’ll listen Thank you very much 

I wish I could be with him when he tries them for the first time. I can’t tell you how much joy it brings me to know that I could introduce a complete stranger to one of life’s greatest pleasures while I’m social distancing. You’d better believe that when I’m popping my own Jelly Bellies into my mouth, I’ll be thinking of Antwan.  


1 comment:

All comments are moderated.