Friday, April 24, 2020

COVID19: April 24, 2020 - No singing?


When we first started this stay-at-home stuff, I wasn’t fazed. We can do this. It won’t last forever. At the time I was wondering if we would worship together when Easter rolled around. It didn’t take me more than a week to realize that wasn’t going to happen. Then it seemed like maybe it wouldn’t be until May that we worshiped together again. Last week, I adjusted my thinking to June.

Yesterday I read some guidelines that the Wisconsin Council of Churches have outlined after considering all the scientific facts. They were devastating. I spent most of the day sobbing.

While it may be that we can finally stop quarantining ourselves, that won’t mean that we’ll resume worshiping as we once did. Recommendations included distancing from one another, wearing face masks, removing all the hymnals, thorough disinfecting the space after every worship (can this be done multiple times on a Sunday?), refraining from any socializing before or after worship, limiting the number of people who can attend, and making worship off limits for people at risk or over the age of 60. Since I’m 67, that last one stung. How is that going to work?

Of all the guidelines, the one that was a death blow to my heart was the one that said no singing. No singing?! I’ve been stressing over how we ever will be able to commune face-to-face again. How can I stand at the altar and consecrate the elements? How can we receive communion wearing face-masks? Is there any safe way to commune in person? That’s where my head’s been. It never occurred to me that an even bigger concern could be singing! In all the scenarios I had envisioned, I never considered that singing would be off limits.   

Today we heard our governor’s plan for re-opening Maryland. Nothing he said contradicts what I read coming out of Wisconsin. With all the restrictions being suggested, I keep wondering how we’ll ever be able to do it. Even more so, I wonder why we would even want to. Why bother trying to worship in person when everything about worship that is meaningful will be taken away? For many people, the only way worship will be possible will continue to be online. That also may be true for those who can come to the church building for worship with all the restrictions in place.

I am trying to accept this and I know I’ll get there eventually. Right now, I grieve.

4 comments:

  1. I hear you, Pastor Nancy. God's deep peace be with you. I grieve with you and for you. I think of the exiled Israelites when they were taunted by their Babylonian captors, "Sing us a song of Zion! (Oh wait, Zion is destroyed.) "By the rivers of Babylon, we lay down our harps and wept when we remembered Zion." After a number of years, they did return, but it was nothing like what they had remembered. Like you, I fear and am fairly sure that is what we are facing for the pre-vaccine future. Laying down our harps, and weeping when we remember Zion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Bishop, that's exactly what's happening. Thanks for putting it within a scriptural framework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both for your reflections. This is where I have been, too, since reading this article. Colleagues in The United Church of Canada seem to be chiding me to embrace the new thing God will bring from this. I need to grieve before I can get there.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.