Sunday, September 27, 2009

Move Your Freaking Feet!

I remember when I was in the first grade and we learned that the world was always turning on its axis. That day, as I was walking home from school, it occurred to me that maybe if I just stood still and waited, my house would come to me. I decided to try it and stopped right where I was. My house was straight ahead, just a few blocks away, and I figured that it wouldn’t take long for the earth to turn enough that I would be able step right up on the front porch, open the door, and I would be home. So I stood there, with my feet glued to the sidewalk, and I waited. After a short while, I saw that nothing around me had changed; I was still standing in the same place. It didn’t take me long to figure out that if I wanted to get home that day, I was going to have to put one foot in front of the other and move.

Some people think God works much like I thought about the rotating earth when I was a kid. They think that if they just stand still, eventually God will bring them to the place they need to be in their lives. Let me tell you, that’s a sure-fire way to get nowhere quick! We need to be willing participants and not just passive recipients on our spiritual journey. We can trust that God will lead us to opportunities where we can grow along the way, but there is no spiritual journey unless we move our freaking feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.